I am not new to Twitter, but I am by no means an expert. I used it for class my freshman year but I never went back to it because I was avoiding getting hooked onto a new platform full of distractions. Nonetheless, it was always a great outlet for the news.
For this blog, I will follow a variety of news organizations, tech experts, scientists and hospitals. My list will likely transform as I get accustomed to what kind of information is being tweeted and as I come across new accounts. But for now I intend to follow:
- @MassGeneral News: Mass General Hospital is known to be the #1 hospital in the nation and it will be a great source because of its biomedical research facility.
- @BostonChildrens: Boston Children’s Hospital is known to be the #1 children’s hospital in the nation and they are constantly tweeting about their research and innovation.
- @WIRED: Wired Magazine solely focuses on coverage of current trends and the future of technology and how they will impact every other sector of life, such as business and entertainment.
- @TEDTalks: TED Talks cover an array of topics but they often deal with the latest in science and technology. One TED talk alone would provide great in-depth coverage on a story.
- @robertherjavec: Robert Herjavec is the CEO of Herjavec Group, a global IT security firm, and an investor on Shark Tank. His expertise is in the technology startup world and he has a track record of investing in entrepreneurs who focus on the technology field.
- @MIT: I will already be using MIT’s biotech blog as a source, but because it is a world leader in research, it couldn’t hurt to follow the twitter account also. The students and faculty are constantly sharing their progress and advancements.
- @TechCrunch: More than the blog, I think the twitter account will keep me up to date on the latest. As a leading technology blog, Tech Crunch it is a reliable source and will be my go-to when I stray from biomedical technology.
- @BiotechNews: Biotech News shares only the latest news related to the biotech industry. In other words, it covers exactly what I want my blog to be about.
- @ForbesTech: Forbes Tech News shares information about all areas of technology. It will help me with both, the medical side of my blog and the occasional random technology post.
- @nytimesbits: The New York Times is a must have. In order for me to get anything out of the broad scope of news they cover, I decided to follow NYTimes Bits, which only covers tech news and analysis.